Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Getting Chemo


So yesterday I went to Virginia Mason to get my first kind of chemo the Oxsaliplatin (or something like that).
It was kind of a rough one yesterday. I started getting hot flashes about half way through. They shut it off and let me cool down, they didn't think it was related to the medication, which is good because if I react to this, then they can't give it to me, which would be bad. Then at the end I was getting my "webby" throat without drinking anything cold. So the nurse, who is a bit of a spaz, said I should have benadryl. I should've just breathed into my scarf because the air was kind of cold. The benadryl made me feel horrible, tired, I couldn't walk straight. This was just really frustrating.
But I got through it and made it home and took a nap. I want to add that to not get the medication it would have to be a "reaction" not just a "side effect" to make it so I wouldn't be able to get it. I think that I was just having side effects from the cold. It seems to be the one I am most sensitive to.
Also, to clarify Ben's blog about my liver numbers. They are still really high, but Malpass showed me a graph and told me that the numbers are actually going down. He said that this was potentially good news, that the chemo is already working after 1 treatment. So that made me feel pretty good. I can't wait to get more evidence that this is working. I think that will really help put my mind at ease.

Today I have just been pretty tired. I just keep telling myself that I need this medication to get better. I know that this is true, but it is a long day. I am just a little nervous. It makes everything that much more real, and that is hard sometimes. I can only drink warm water, and don't have much of an appetite. I just can't wait to get it off tomorrow. Also, when I sleep, I have been waking up pretty soaking with sweat, so that is pretty frustrating too. --just uncomfortable. I am just glad I only have to do this a couple times a month.

Paige just left this afternoon. She is my childhood friend for those of you who don't know. She came in Sunday morning and we got some time to catch up. It was really great, looking at old photos, and finally having a chunk of time to catch each other up on our lives over the past years. She is also finishing up her thesis for anesthesia nursing school, so I did some proofreading. That felt good, I love proofreading and was glad I still had it. I was sad to see her go, but it was so great that she took the time out of her schedule to be able to make it again (she was here while I was in the hospital too).

Toni is spending the night tonight. I just really like having an extra person here while I'm getting the chemo, so I'm really happy about that. I think we will just want a movie and call it a night. Last time I was a little ansy the night before getting unhooked, so I hope I can sleep well tonight and get in there to get this off. I will go in at 1:30. Can't wait.

Anyway, I am going to get some more rest.

A.

No comments: